Thursday, May 21, 2009

Papas con brillitos

Papas con brillitos:

Literal translation from Spanish: "Potatoes with sparkles"

Neo demanded the other day "potatoes with sparkles". It sounded odd I thought, but then again it could be interpreted as avant-garde, I could think of Breton or DalĂ­ demanding to eat sparkling potatoes.

But she didn't want them in the metaphoric way, she very much wanted to eat them, so she pulled me back from my reverie: "I want to eat potatoes with sparkles!"

In my home town, where we had just been, we have a true delicacy: boiled potatoes sliced covered with chili powder, salt and lime juice. I thought that maybe in her creativity she saw the chili powder on them as sparkles, so I offered to make them for her.

"No!, not that. I want the sparkling potatoes I had at my friend's house!"

"Which friend?" I asked

"My friend from when I was a baby!"

We had recently traveled back to the city in California where we lived when she was born, and met with a group of moms and kids we used to see every day. I thought about it until I remembered her eating any sort of potato there. And it suddenly hit me:

At J's house she tried a new type of potato chip: "Pringles"

So, the forensic linguist in me traced her thinking process:

pringles -------> sprinkles -------> sparkles -------> brillitos

From now on Pringles shall forever be known as the chips that sparkle!

No comments:

Post a Comment